Standard pairs species competition rules
A print friendly PDF version can be found here
- Entry is free and open to all financial members of the West Australian Undersea Club Inc. (Excludes Glynn Dromey spearfishing competition)
- Unless stated otherwise, divers may launch/enter the water from whatever location suits, provided they return to the weigh in location in the designated time period.
- Failing to return to weigh in/sign off location before the allocated cut off time will result in disqualification.
- All WAUC competitions are freedive only.
- Pairs must dive from the same boat.
- Only one fish of each species can be submitted per pair.
- All local bag and size limits are to be adhered to. IE pairs will be limited to weighing only 4 demersal fish in the West Coast bioregion.
- Burleying is only permitted by fish speared on competition day.
- Fish entered in the competition are only to be captured on the day, during the allocated time period.
- All fish are to be submitted for weighing, gutted and bled. All guts from the neck back are to be removed. Divers should ensure they look after their catch and present fish in an edible condition.
- It is everyone’s responsibility to have the correct fishing licence(s) and be aware of marine sanctuary zones. Any competitors found diving in a sanctuary zone during the competition window will be disqualified.
- Boat skippers are responsible for making sure their vessel meets the minimum safety requirements and takes necessary precautions to ensure the safety of their crew. This includes all required safety equipment (flares, EPIRB, lifejackets), logging on/off with sea rescue, knowing the limitations of their vessel, adjusting to conditions on the day and having adequate fuel.
- A clearly visible dive flag must be erected whilst divers are in the water.
- All divers are strongly encouraged to use a float/floatline, and exercise safe freediving practices of one up/one down.
- Prizes awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd pairs, Most Meritorious Fish and a mystery weight prize for any fish weighed on the day. Additional categories for females and juniors may be added in lead-up to the event.
- Competitors can only win one prize category, except for Most Meritorious Fish, which shall be awarded to the most standout fish entered on the day. Competition organisers have the final say on prize allocation.
- Should the day be cancelled due to adverse weather or other circumstances, the competition will be postponed to the following suitable day/weekend.
- Competition organisers reserve the right to disqualify anyone under suspicion of foul play.
- WAUC takes cheating very seriously, anyone caught cheating will be disqualified and banned from future club events.